Your future is your choice. But what if you’re not sure which choice to make?
Leaving school, we have a few options open to us. The biggies are a university degree or getting stuck straight in with an apprenticeship.
So, which one is right for you? Let’s explore both choices in a bit more detail.
University - what’s in it for me?
- Range of options: It’s true, at university you have access to lots of options in all manner of subjects and disciplines, so if you’re certain about what subject you want to do or have something specific in mind, university could be the way to get there. Just double check first whether apprenticeships are also a viable route towards your chosen career.
- The student experience: Many go to university to get the student experience of learning, partying and living away from home. While it’s not impossible to create conditions to do this as an apprentice, going away to uni makes it much easier.
- The theory-based approach: Universities are highly academic places with great emphasis on theory-based learning (although some courses will allow for practical learning, too). If you gel well with theory and academia, then you’ll get along well at university
Apprenticeships - what’s in it for me?
- Get experience from the word go: Many jobs nowadays are valuing experience just as much, if not more, than a qualification. Apprenticeships are a way to gain immediate experience while contributing to a real company – giving you great stuff that can go straight on the CV.
- Supported and trained in skills: If you enjoy hands-on learning, an apprenticeship is the way to go. But don’t worry – you get plenty of support along the way from both the training provider via resources, materials and online classes, and also your employer. Apprenticeship providers, such as althaus, also give you access to discussion forums where you can chat with other learners about your journey.
- Learn and earn: While it’s for a good cause, university can be a bit of a money pit. If you fancy learning and earning at the same time, then an apprenticeship is right for you. You will essentially get paid to study, gaining a triple benefit of money, experience and skills.
- Networking made easy: Because you are placed in a company, you have the chance to make industry connections and network – you’re living it and breathing it, and so networking is far easier as an apprenticeship than what you might have access to at university.
Everyone learns differently, works differently and lives differently. At the end of the day, only you can decide what is the right path for you.
But if you want to find out a little more about how you can get started on an apprenticeship, just get in touch with the friendly team here at althaus. We’re a leading apprenticeship provider for digital marketing, cyber security and IT – so if you fancy kickstarting your career in these subjects, we’ll be more than happy to help.
althaus is an apprenticeship provider that does things differently. We equip learners with real-life skills and up-to-date knowledge, helping you make strides in your industry of choice. We match you with the right companies so that you can grow, learn and thrive together. Let’s start the journey together.